29. What is possession by demons? How is possession by demons manifested?
Relevant Words of God:
Do you know what kind of soul you have? Are you able to feel your soul? Are you able to touch your soul? Are you able to sense what your soul is doing? You don’t know, do you? If you are able to feel or touch some such thing, then it is another spirit inside of you forcefully doing something—having you do and say things. That is something outside of yourself, not inherent to you. Those with an evil spirit will have deep understanding of this.
from “Whether or Not You Have the Truth Decides Everything” in Records of Christ’s Talks
If, during the present day, there is to emerge a person who is able to display signs and wonders, cast out demons, heal the sick, and perform many miracles, and if this person claims that they are Jesus who has come, then this would be the counterfeit of evil spirits, and their imitation of Jesus. Remember this! God does not repeat the same work. Jesus’ stage of work has already been completed, and God will never again undertake that stage of work.
from “Knowing God’s Work Today” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
If in the last days a “God” the same as Jesus appeared, one who healed the sick, cast out demons, and was crucified for man, that “God,” though identical to the description of God in the Bible and easy for man to accept, would not, in its essence, be the flesh worn by the Spirit of God, but by an evil spirit.
from “The Essence of the Flesh Inhabited by God” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
There are some who are possessed by evil spirits and cry out vociferously, “I am God!” Yet, in the end, they are revealed, for they are wrong in what they represent. They represent Satan, and the Holy Spirit pays them no heed. However highly you exalt yourself or however strongly you cry out, you are still a created being and one that belongs to Satan. … If you are unable to make way for a new age, or to bring the old to an end, or to usher in a new age, or to do new work, then you cannot be called God!
from “The Mystery of the Incarnation (1)” in The Word Appears in the Flesh
Sermon and Fellowship Excerpts for Reference:
People possessed by demons are those who have been invaded and controlled by evil spirits. The main manifestation is having a psychological disorder, or being of unsound mind at times, completely losing normal reason. They believe in God but are unable to accept the truth and can only play a disruptive role. This is why, although they believe in God, they cannot be saved and must be expelled. The majority of people possessed by evil spirits act as lackeys of Satan and disrupt the work of God. There are ten main manifestations as follows:
1. All those who pose as God or Christ are possessed by evil spirits.
2. All those who pretend to have the spirits of angels are possessed by evil spirits.
3. All those who pose as another God incarnate are possessed by evil spirits.
4. All those who say that God’s words are their own or who have others treat their words as the words of God are possessed by evil spirits.
5. All those who pretend to be used by the Holy Spirit to get others to follow and obey them are possessed by evil spirits.
6. All those who often speak in tongues, interpret tongues and can see all kinds of supernatural visions, or who often point out the sins of others are possessed by evil spirits.
7. All those who often hear supernatural voices of spirits or the sounds of spirits or who often see ghosts, and all those who are clearly not quite right in the head have been possessed by evil spirits.
8. All those who have lost normal human reasoning, speak in insane terms frequently, often speak to themselves, talk nonsense or often say that God has instructed them and that the Holy Spirit has touched them have also been possessed by evil spirits.
9. All those who have episodes of abnormal behavior, act silly, are sometimes crazy, and cannot converse with others normally are people who have been possessed by evil spirits. All those who are classified as homosexual are a type of people possessed by demons and among those who are to be expelled.
10. Some people are usually quite normal but may, over the course of a few months or one or two years, be provoked and develop a mental disorder. At the time of the disorder they are just the same as those who have been possessed by demons. Although these people are normal at times, they are also classified as possessed by evil spirits. (If someone had a mental disorder many years prior but has been well for many years afterward, they could understand and accept the truth in their faith, and have undergone some changes, they would not be classified as being possessed by evil spirits.) A person possessed by demons is completely occupied and controlled by Satan, belongs to Satan, and is cursed.
from “Performing Church Work Well Requires Discernment of Several Kinds of People” in Selected Annals of the Work Arrangements of The Church of Almighty God
There are only two kinds of situations where evil spirits deceive man: One is the supernatural work of evil spirits, and the other is evil spirits reincarnated as humans. Those who oppose God and the truth such as the demon that is the great red dragon are also evil spirits; they are more insidious, more malicious. Some evil spirits possess people’s bodies at some point in their lives; some evil spirits are the reincarnations of demons. Although on the outside there is no supernatural work of evil spirits and you cannot see any trace of possession by devils, they frenziedly resist the truth; they wildly oppose and resist God. Reincarnated demons are not supernatural, but normal. However, it is quite obvious that they are hostile to the truth. The great red dragon belongs to the category of reincarnated demons, and all politicians and heads of state who resist God are also demons reborn. Saying that only those who have the work of evil spirits are possessed by demons and are evil spirits themselves doesn’t conform to reality. Some evil spirits disguise themselves more deeply and you cannot discern them; they belong to the category of reincarnated demons.
from “Questions & Answers” in Sermons and Fellowship on Entry Into Life VIII